We begin April with two interesting tastings.
On Friday we will have 3 wines to taste, a crisp white Gruner from Austria (1 Liter bottle), a rosé blend from Argentina a (also a 1 Liter bottle) and a full-bodied red blend from Spain!
On Saturday we will have a visit from the local New State Sunshine Whiskey!
Tasting time: 6:00 to 9:00pm
See below for full description:
Hugl Weine, Weine Grüner Veltliner (2018)
- Category: Wine – Still – White
- Grape: Grüner Veltliner
- Geography: Austria
No Oak, Stelvin closure.
This is is an intense and concentrated wine offering pleasant citrus and grapefruit aromas, exotic tropical fruits with a hint of freshly ground white pepper. Medium-bodied dry wine with a firm mineral backbone, crisp acidity on the finish.
Bodegas Funckenhausen, Dry Rosé (2017)
- Category: Wine – Still – Rosé
- Geography: Mendoza, Argentina
- Appellation: San Rafael
Jimena Lopez has been making wine since high school and in 2002 won her first gold medal. Her viticulture education and travels cover new and old world properties and techniques. She leads the wine making team to help focus on Mr. Heinlein’s vision of producing superior wines that represent the region. Lopez is part of a rising group of talented female winemakers of South America
75% Malbec/20% Cabernet Sauvignon/5% Cabernet Franc. The gently pressed juice contacts the skins only for a few hours for color & aroma and is immediately sent to steel tanks where it undergoes fermentation for about 12 days, never seeing oak. In the glass it is a light salmon color and on the nose there are pleasant aromas of red berries and white flower. The wine is crisp & complex with a lingering finish.
Perelada, Empordà 5 Finques Reserva (2015)
- Grapes: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Syrah, and Grenache
- Geography: Catalonia, Spain
- Appellation: Empordà
Perelada has been producing wines since the fourteenth century. The castle and its estates has been owned by the Mateu family since 1923. Its founder Miguel Mateu passed away in 1972 and left his son-in-law Arturo Suque at the helm.
Sunshine Reserve has been specifically crafted to be a hybrid between a Bourbon and a Single Pot Still Irish Whisky in terms of flavor. As a result, it has the dominant caramel and vanilla flavors of a Bourbon, but instead of having Bourbon’s heavier oak and smoke flavor, it has the soft smoothness and light fruit notes of an Irish Whisky.
– Aged primarily with toasted oak instead of the more traditional charred oak. This gives it lighter, brighter vanilla flavors like marzipan or creme-brule and reduces the heavy oak and smoke flavors typical of Bourbons.
– Aged at a lower proof than almost any other American Whiskey on the market (around 110 proof), which gives it a softer, sweeter flavor that has less spice and dark wood to it than other Whiskeys that are aged at a higher proof.
– Hand crafted in upstate New York using grains sourced through partnerships with small local farms.
– Unique, four grain recipe is primarily based on Oats, which give the Whiskeyits signature floral softness. The remaining 3 grains, Rye, Spelt, and Malted Barley, provide the Whiskey with mild cinnamon spice and maltiness that balance the Oats perfectly and create its wonderful complexity.